Gratitude Day 328
Sat., Sept. 21, 2019
Mark 10:9: “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
A little note for my niece Carissa and her finance, Jesse, who will be married today.
Dear Carissa & Jesse –
Today, you are making the second most important decision of your life when you choose who your spouse will be. It’s the second most important decision because the first most important decision is choosing to have God in your lives. As you are having this marriage confirmed within the spirit and eyes of God, you combine both of these big choices into one single event.
When you say “I will” today, you are saying “I will” to many things:
- I will love my spouse unconditionally; even when they irritate me, leave their underwear on the bathroom floor and are late for dinner … again.
- I will honor this person the way I desire for them to honor me.
- I will pray for and with this person knowing that when two people carry the yoke of any problem, it is lighter. Most importantly, I will turn over this person to God and ask for God’s guidance in their life, my life and our marriage.
- I will overlook the meniscal flaws and instead make sure to point out the positive ways they affect my life.
- I will stand with my spouse on the crappy days as well as the good days.
- I will encourage my spouse to grow into the person God calls them to be, knowing this may look different from what I prefer.
- I will listen to my spouse more than I will speak.
- I will be my spouse’s biggest cheerleader.
- I will extend the respect I desire for myself to my spouse.
- I will frequently revisit the reasons why I chose this person as my spouse. I will extend the list of reasons why I want to spend the rest of my life with this person.
- I will hold this person’s hand when they are challenged. I will hug them every time we have been blessed beyond our expectation.
- I will expect our best years as something in the future.
- I will keep my relationship with God as the foremost relationship in my life, followed quickly by my relationship with my spouse.
- I will anticipate and know that God journeys with us. It is just our responsibility to make sure and include Go in our marriage every day.
Please enjoy and celebrate today. And tomorrow and every day forward, continue the important choose of recommitting to your spouse once again. Do this every morning. I pray your love and commitment to one another will only deepen and expand.
Uncle Rick & Auntie Dianne
For the joy of celebrating Carissa and Jesse’s marriage, I am grateful.
Holy God – bless today the joining together of Jesse and Carissa. I pray you become the strong third string that holds their marriage and relationship together. Amen.
If you have enjoyed this blog, please pass it along to someone else who will also enjoy it.